safety and environment
Chevron seeks to be the global company most admired for its people, partnership and performance. We conduct business in a socially responsible and ethical manner, respecting the law, supporting universal human rights and protecting the environment.
Wherever we operate, we work closely with local governments, respect our neighbours and invest in the community. We share the public’s expectation that the energy we need will be produced safely and reliably. We know that our long-term success depends on our ability to do business responsibly.
Chevron has spent more than 20 years expanding systems that support a culture of safety and environmental stewardship that strives to achieve unequalled performance and prevent all serious incidents and fatalities. We call this Operational Excellence (OE), and it drives everything we do. Our workforce truly believes that serious incidents are preventable, and we have policies, processes, tools and behavioural expectations in place to assist us in achieving that goal.
We define OE as the systematic management of process safety, personal safety and health, environment, reliability and efficiency to achieve world-class performance.
Our commitment to OE is embodied in The Chevron Way value of Protecting People and the Environment, which places the highest priority on the health and safety of our workforce and the protection of our assets and the environment.
OE is based on five objectives:
Achieve an incident-and-injury-free workplace
Promote a healthy workforce and mitigate workplace health risks
Identify and mitigate environmental and process safety risks
Operate with industry-leading asset integrity and reliability
Efficiently use natural resources and assets
We approach the five areas of OE as one priority because success in each helps ensure success in the others, and ultimately, this success becomes a powerful driver for robust business performance. Safe, reliable, efficient and environmentally sound operations make good business sense, and we strive to complete every task the right way every time.
OE isn't achieved overnight. It takes constant, deliberate efforts to build and sustain a culture over time. Chevron has taken many actions toward achieving incident-free performance, and we're constantly striving to improve our OE efforts.
We are committed to developing a workplace that is incident and injury-free and to working together to send our employees and contractors home safe from work every day. Safety is a fundamental core value that we will not compromise. There is nothing more important. Our underlying safety messages are "There is always time to do it right" and "Do it safely or not at all." We work toward our goal of creating an incident and injury-free workplace through:
- Visible safety leadership
- Reinforcement of our Tenets of Operation
- Our Operational Excellence Management System (OEMS) is woven into every aspect of our operations and focuses on improving health, environmental and safety (HES) performance. Annual reviews reinforce our commitment to continual HES performance improvement.
- Our Incident Free Operations (IFO) programme raises the awareness of error-producing conditions in a workplace to our offshore and onshore workforce. This initiative, which includes training materials related to human performance, is integrated with our process safety awareness campaign to reinforce the importance of OE.
- A Stop-Work Authority policy that establishes the responsibility and authority of any individual to stop work when an unsafe condition or act could result in an undesirable event.
- We employ an effective behavior-based safety system known as POWER (Positive Observations Will Eliminate Risk), which monitors and encourages safe work behavior.
- Our Contractor Health, Environment and Safety Management work process, which enhances the safety performance of third-party service suppliers and their subcontractors through conformance to OE.
Chevron is represented on the leadership team of Step Change in Safety, an independent organisation that represents the workforce, regulators and employers. In this role, we have ensured that industrywide HES materials are utilised across our operations. We are also represented on the board of directors of the U.K.’s offshore oil and gas industry association, Oil and Gas UK.
protecting the environment
Worldwide environmental stewardship is a key element of how Chevron does business. It's part of The Chevron Way and it underpins all of our operations.
Looking after the environment is the right thing to do. It's critical to our success in a world where energy resources must be developed in a safe and environmentally responsible way.
We have four environmental principles that define our commitment to operating in an environmentally responsible manner. We commit to:
- Including environmental considerations in decision making
- Minimising our environmental footprint
- Operating responsibly
- Stewarding our sites
We incorporate these values into our business through our OEMS. This process is designed to identify and manage environmental impacts and assess our activities, with the aim of improving performance.
Did you know?
We develop energy in an environmentally responsible manner across the life of our assets. Chevron North Sea recently received ISO 14001:2015 to further drive environmental continual improvement and efficiencies.
We also work closely with government, communities, regulators and other industry members to seek visible solutions that meet the highest standards of environmental stewardship. In compliance with the U.K. Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS) requirements, we submit an annual environmental management system public statement which is published on the BEIS website.
At every stage of every project, the safety of our people and protection of the environment remain our focus. Rigorous and thorough assessments are undertaken to mitigate environmental impacts, reinforcing our commitment to environmental management and stewardship.